Want to travel with your pet? With an easy list of do’s and don’ts, airlines and railways have simplified pet travel. If you are taking your car, the possible hassles are even few. However, certain preparations are important, especially for the first time. In this post, we have 10 tips for easy and safe journeys with your pet dog.
- Get a carrier. For flights and trains, you need to contain the animal in a crate. You can check for pet carrier review online, where you can find a lot of details about brands and different product design.
- Make sure that your pet is used to the crate. Practicing at home can be extremely useful. The animal should feel comfortable and easy within the carrier and must have enough space to move around.
- Double check the crate for ventilation. Flight travel in particular can be intimidating for pets. You need to check the crate for possible issues, especially related to ventilation. The dog shouldn’t have trouble smelling things around.
- Talk to your vet. Have a sensitive pet? Consider discussing these concerns with the doctor. He can advise medicines, if required, and he will also offer suggestions on keeping the animal calm during the journey.
- Get his medicines. If your canine is prone to motion sickness or any other medical condition, make sure that you have his medicines handy.
- Get quality dry food. Along the journey, it might be impossible to feed wet food products. Check for semi-dry food for dogs, which can be hydrating, as well. Give him enough water before the journey and keep the food amount to minimal.
- If you are traveling in a car, don’t keep the windows open, unless there’s someone to supervise. Dogs are curious creatures and can jump without a sign.
- Do not leave your dog unattended at any point, especially in a locked car. No matter the mode of transport, you must be with your pet at all times.
- Keep the vaccination records handy. In some countries, you might need these records, or your pet can be confiscated.
- Finally, get a good collar tag and a harness, along with a walking stick. Strays and other dogs can chase your pet along the way, and a stick will help in better control. The collar tag is the best way to get your pet back, in case of a mishap.
Check online to buy pet carriers now!