Sri Lanka is a small island located in the Indian Ocean. It boasts of a warm and tropical climate. This country has everything, from high mountains, stunning beaches and tropical forests to many animals such as leopards, wild elephants and sea turtles. It is surrounded by beaches making it a great place for water sport such as kiting, snorkelling, surfing and diving.
Inland, try to stretch your legs and take hikes among tea plantations. The culture of Sri Lanka is influenced by the Netherlands, Portugal, India and United Kingdom. Below are some pieces of information you have to know before you take a voyage Sri Lanka.
The Must-See Places in Sri Lanka
- Beaches– You can visit south coast beaches like Mirissa, Unawatuna and Tangalla. These gold soft beaches are the most stunning the island.
- Galle– Do not forget to wander around the city of Galle which boasts of a European vibe.
- Yala National Park– This is a must-see place if you are going to safari in the country to see leopards, wild elephants, colourful birds and crocodiles.
- Ella- This sleep and small mountain village is surrounded by green tea plantation.
- Polonnaruwa-The highlight of most of the trips of foreigners in Sri Lanka is cycling around the ancient ruins of Polonnaruwa.
- Hiking-This activity can be done in the spectacular mountains around Ella. A number of these mountains are above 2000 metres.
- Climbing– Do not forget to climb the Sigiriya Lion rock.
- Surfing– This activity is great in the country. Waves are awesome for surfing on the east, south and west cost.
- Kite surfing-You can go kite surfing in Kalpitiya located on the North West coast of the country.
- Dolphin safari-Your Sri Lanka trip will be surely rewarding if you go on a dolphin watching trip.
- Snorkelling/diving– You will surely love the experience if you snorkel and dive outside Kalpitiya. Expect the reefs to be some of the largest in the world.
- Eating rice and curry-Rice and curry is the national dish in Sri Lanka. This is something that you can find in any food establishment.
- Train ride-If you want to experience the best train trip in your life take a train ride through the Hill Country.
The Best Thing about Sri Lanka
- The lovely people-Sri Lank has great people. They are welcoming, kind and lovely.
- Off the beaten tracks– In Sri Lanka, you can easily avoid the crowd of tourists. If you go north or the east coasts, you will not be able to find plenty of tourists.
- The perfect climate-The country has sub tropic climate which makes it a warm country to travel to.
- Wildlife and nature-Although Sri Lanka is small, its wild life is abundant. Expect to find animals like leopards, crocodiles, wild elephants, beautiful birds, dolphins and whales.
- You can find almost everything in a short distance-Being small makes Sri Lanka a great tourist destination. Travellers here will not find it difficult to travel around and see plenty of things within a short time.