We all like to travel and go on holiday from time to time. When we’re in our prime working years, it isn’t always possible, but as we get older and the children move out of the house, we often have more time to plan and do the things we really want. This is when we have the time and savings to go on the holidays we’ve always dreamed of, but as we age we also tend to suffer more and more health problems. This can cause some real anxiety when holidaying, especially to places where the health system might not always be what we’ve come to expect.
The truth is that more often than not, young people who have their entire lives ahead of them decide not to pay for travel insurance when they go on holiday. It’s a common practice, and certainly provides more spending money on holiday! It also makes sense because young travellers usually do not suffer the ill health of older and retired holidaymakers.
Why Travel Insurance Is Important
If you’re over 50 years of age and you’re planning to travel, it’s wise to look into travel insurance options, especially if you have some health issues. There are even websites where you can quickly and easily compare over 50s travel insurance deals, which makes it a lot easier to choose. But why should you get travel insurance in the first place? Consider the following reasons:
- Unforeseen Delays: On the rare occasion that your trip is delayed or interrupted, including delays to the flight, having travel insurance means your financial losses will be covered. This is especially vital in countries that are experiencing social problems and will even cover circumstances like natural disasters.
- Health Cover: It’s great that you’re having a good time overseas and immersing yourself in a new culture, but what if you need to see a doctor or even go to the hospital? This is where having travel insurance really helps. If you become ill, whatever the reason, your travel insurance will cover you for doctor or hospital visits. This is especially great news for those over 50 and those who have health issues.
- Luggage: On the rare occasion that your luggage is lost, travel insurance can cover your expenses to replace your belongings. The last thing you want to discover is that all of your extra clothes have ended up in another country!
Why Is Travel Insurance of Benefit for the Over 50s?
They say that you are only as old as you feel, and whilst this is certainly true to a degree, the truth is that as we age we start to suffer health problems. Even though many global jet setters are of retirement age, there are a growing number of people 50 and over who have a little more time because their children have grown up and moved out. No longer are they relied upon to house and feed young children, and so they turn their minds to other activities.
Paying for travel insurance if you are over the age of 50 is a good idea. At this age, one cannot afford to simply leave health to fate and assume that nothing will happen. After all, invulnerability is for the young, not necessarily for the young at heart! Apart from covering common issues, such as flight delays, natural disasters, lost luggage, and so on, those over 50 may find a plan that also covers some or all of the following:
- Ambulance cover if hospitalisation is required on the trip
- Cover for a hospital room if a stay is warranted
- Death and repatriation of remains in the worst-case scenario
Something to Consider Before Investing in Travel Insurance
It certainly makes good sense to invest in a travel insurance plan, but you also need to consider if you have any pre-existing health conditions or ailments. It is possible to find a travel insurance provider that will cover a pre-existing condition if it is declared. This is a wise choice, because if you do have a pre-existing health condition and happen to have a problem related to it whilst on holiday, and you have not disclosed it, you will not be covered for it and will likely need to pay a lot of money!
There are many travel insurance providers available, but the offerings can be daunting to work through, especially if all you want to do is plan the good parts of your holiday and get away from the rat race! This is precisely why a number of reliable travel insurance comparison sites exist online. At sites like this, you can quickly find out which insurance providers offer travel insurance for pre-existing conditions, and make a decision about the best type of cover for your situation. Doing it this way means that holiday planning doesn’t have to get bogged down in too many details or take too much time.
Some Sage Advice for the Traveller
Travel insurance makes good sense at any age, but it should certainly be a strong consideration for anyone over the age of 50—using a travel insurance comparison web site can save time and frustration. Consider the following travel insurance checklist before embarking on your holiday and having a great time:
- Cover: If you get travel insurance, just make sure that you are covered from the day you leave the country to the day you return. This way you’ll be completely covered for any mishap. Don’t skimp on the cover!
- Quotes and Questions: Get as many insurance quotes as you can and make sure you ask plenty of questions! Make sure the plan you choose covers exactly what you need.
- Cancellations: Unfortunately, flight cancellations are a fact of life and holidays. This is why you need to make sure that you invest in travel insurance as soon as you book your trip. This way, if your flight is cancelled outside of your control, you can obtain a refund.
Buying Peace of Mind
Investing in good travel insurance from a reputable provider is a great way to give yourself peace of mind. The planning that goes into a holiday can often be stressful, so it makes good sense to buy yourself a little peace of mind so you can enjoy your holiday away from the rat race!